Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Process of Elimination

So this has been quite the week for freak accidents, and I do mean of the potty sort. Allow me to share--Miles may not thank me later, but YOU will be amused.

Saturday night: while Miles lay sleepily upon the table for a late-night change, he managed to pee on his own head and face. Naturally, a bath immediately followed, during the entirety of which he looked stunned, likely due both to the hour and our uncontrollable laughter.

Sunday night: Miles had a poop we'd been waiting three days for. He recently started eating some rice cereal, and that must have slowed things down a little, because he hadn't pooped since Thursday. He didn't seem worried, but we were a little concerned, and by Sunday evening we decided it was time to "introduce" him to some prune juice. Taylor made a grocery run; I meanwhile (admittedly with Murphy's Law in mind) put in him in a brand of diapers that nearly always leak when he poops. It worked. The mere purchase of prune juice (hadn't even had time to give him any yet) and the defective diapers did the trick. I have never seen such full pants, and I have never been so glad to clean up so much poop. We got a picture of it, but we'll spare him and you of THAT.

Monday night: During a more normal-hour bath, Miles let loose again. This time the stream shot straight into the electric socket on the wall, triggering the safety button to pop and the socket to shut off. Just goes to show that no matter how conscientious a parent you are, you can't anticipate EVERY possibility of harm to your child. I mean, who would think of guarding against pee in a counter-height outlet? The situation was both hilarious (because it was impossible and Miles was safe) and sobering (because what if the stream had been unbroken and the socket had not shut off? He was in a tub of water!). God was kind and because Miles is fine, we've had many a laugh about it. And yes, I added "outlet covers" to my shopping list.

Funny how your prayers change upon becoming parents. Last night Taylor thanked God that Miles had had a good poop and that he didn't electrocute himself with his pee. Do you think the Lord laughed as much as I did?


3 comments:

Lauryl Lane said...

priceless!

Elizabeth said...

Jason and I had a good laugh over this post! Can't wait until we have our own poop/pee stories to tell!

Anonymous said...

Wow, tears still in my eyes from laughing!! That's amazing! :)